The aims and objectives of the Association are:
- To promote au pair programmes among young people throughout the world in order to both assist in the development of friendly, peaceful relations and strengthen cultural ties between nations.
- To secure mutual understanding and co-operation between all members of the Association in any way which may be found practicable including conferences, seminars, exchange of literature and information.
- To take such action as may be possible to assist in the development of au pair programmes in countries where they do not exist and to encourage governments and official bodies to sanction au pair programmes to and from their countries with the minimum of restrictions.
- To lobby governments to treat au pair programmes as cultural exchange and not as work programmes so that au pairs and their receiving host families are not subject to employment taxation.
- To establish guidelines for the conduct of business between members and for the treatment of au pairs and host families.
- To increase public awareness of the professionalism of the members of the Association and to monitor their conduct.