Call to Action: Help us to save the U.S.A. Au Pair Program #SaveJ1
As we have already reported the American government is considering eliminating in-bound cultural exchange programs into the U.S.A. including Au Pair, Summer Work Travel, Intern/Trainee and Camp Counselor programs as part of the implementation of the Buy American, Hire American (BAHA) Executive Order.
IAPA is working with the American Alliance for International Exchange and others as part of the Save J1 Campaign, which includes grassroots advocacy, legislative action and media engagement.
You, as agents and service providers to the au pair program and other J1 programs can play a very important role in the Campaign by contacting your country’s Ambassador to the U.S., sharing your stories and engaging in social media.
What can you do?
The most powerful international voice on this issue is your country’s Ambassador to the United States. Ask your country’s Ambassador to contact the Department of State and share how important these programs are to your country.
- Sign and share one of the petitions
initiated by two IAPA members from the US on Change.org
Petition from Cultural Care
Petition from Au Pair in America
Post on Social Media using the hashtag #SaveJ1
- Contact your former participants
- Ask them to send the a letter as well to the ambassadors in their home country
- Invite them to share their stories through Americans for Cultural Exchange and to spread the word through social media
Suggest they write a letter to the Editor of the newspaper in the U.S. community where they did their exchange – (they can use the letter to your ambassador as a template!)
As worrying as these news are we would also like to confirm that so far nothing has changed and it is business as usual. Possibly nothing will change especially if we unite together now and take a stand. Please also reassure your participants and applicants that they have nothing to fear and they should continue to pursue their aspirations of becoming (or extending) as an au pair in the United States of America.
Thank you so much for your support!
For further information, ideas, suggestions, news please contact our Managing Director Patricia Brunner email@example.com.
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter as we regularly post updates and news, articles on the topic via social media and on our webpage www.iapa.org
If you want to inform yourself more on the topic:
- Original Newspaper Article in the Wallstreet Journal: Trump Administration Considering Cuts to Cultural Exchange Visas
- Very good article from our Honorary Member Michael McCarry Note to Washington: ” Exchange Work. Leave Them Alone
- Webpage Initiative: Americans for Cultural Exchange