IAPA is against any direct match between au pair and host family, always use a legally registered au pair agency.
Newspaper, internet advertisements or one of the many web-based matching services may appear to be acceptable and inexpensive alternatives for securing an au pair placement.
There are, however, potential risks in arranging a placement in this manner. 10 potential risks you face when not using a legally registered au pair agency:
- high probability of unsuitable au pair or host family candidates
- absence of a written contract
- little or no experience in the au pair industry
- lack of professionalism or financial stability
- nonexistent standards or guidelines
- insufficient references and/or medical certification
- danger of document falsification
- no rematch policy (secondary placement) if the initial placement is unsuccessful
- no local support during the placement
- limited understanding of national au pair regulations